Vltor A5 weights:
Vltor A5 assembly: A5H1 disassembled – this orientation is how it came from the factory. Note the spring. Single tungsten weight and 3 steel weights
Pictured below is an old MGI buffer where it also uses an internal spring like the Vltor A5. In my case the spring on mine had broken.
Hydraulic buffers – what I could not find anywhere was how stiff each hydraulic buffer is to compress that is what I’m showing here.
The early Enidine’s are pretty stiff and I honestly never liked them in any configuration I have tested
The standard Kynshot RB5000 is similar to the early Enidine and likewise was never really impressed with it.
I think that both of the above hydraulics would be good for people with overgassed guns which I don’t have.
New (as of 2022) RB5000HP is similar to the RB5000 but with a larger diameter, slightly stiffer and heavier.
I consider the RB5005 a good alternative to the RB5007 when you want to reap the benefits of a hydraulic buffer but must use a carbine length buffer tube.
The RB5015HD is marketed by Blitzkrieg Components as their ‘High Dampened’ version for straight blowback 9mm variants. I’ve tested this in the CMMG RDB in 9mm and .40SW as well as some other gas operated rifle calibers and didn’t really care for it over the RB5007. My preferred use case for this buffer is in my DPMS GII .308 with a .308 Tubb Flat spring, A2 Rifle stock and custom Delrin spacer in the buffer tube to prevent overtravel.
B&T Hydraulic Buffer for the AR-15 – I didn’t notice any sliding weights in this design. Note how the orientation of the buffer body is reversed on the B&T design vs the Kynshot hydraulic designs. I believe that the Kynshot design operates in 3 phases.
1. Initial recoil impulse. The buffer body will move forward while the B&T’s majority of mass is already forward.
2. Rearward stroke, both hydraulic buffers will cushion the BCG.
3. Forward stroke, The B&T has little mass to stop bolt bounce (which again is because they have the orientation reversed compared to the Kynshot hydraulics) which is noticed the most in full auto. I’ve done limited testing with the B&T but so far have noticed that configurations that were working fine in full auto do not function with the B&T.